Thursday, June 19, 2014

2500 miles, 7 states, 5 days & 3 time zones

When it became reality that I was actually making the cross country move to Arizona, I asked none other than my dad to drive with me. I knew I couldn't do it alone, and I knew that he would LOVE the road trip. We decided on May 13th, 3 days after my graduation. Since my dad was helping me, I left all the planning regarding the drive up to him.



The first day, we drove from Virginia and made it to the music city...Nashville, Tennessee! It took 8 hours to get there and it was a total of 493 miles. You can't drive very fast with a trailer and it really slowed us down.







 
On day 2, we left Nashville and drove to Fort Smith, Arkansas! On this day, we drove for 11 hours...it was a long day.
 
 




The third day is where it started to feel as if this trip was taking forever. It is hard to sit in the car for hours straight and the scenery barely changes. We drove from Fort Smith, Arkansas to Amarillo, Texas on day 3!
 








This is where we noticed that the landscape was starting to change



 Only in Texas do hotels serve Texas shaped waffles!
 
Day 4 started out freezing - it was a chilly 46 degrees! We knew it would warm up soon, because we were heading to spend the night in Holbrook, Arizona - my new home state.
 


really starting to look like a desert now!







5 days on the road leaves for little breakfast options


Day 5 was our last day on the road! We left Holbrook pretty early and made sure to be in Phoenix by about 2pm. Since it was Saturday, I wanted to make sure we got to the apartment on time before the office closed.
 
 



 spotted our first cactus on the I17 between Flagstaff and Phoenix
 
While most of our days were spent on Interstate 40 (from Nashville to Flagstaff), we made sure to make this a fun trip and stop for sights along the way, such as stopping at the Grand Ole Opry, drive on the historic route 66, drive through Santa Fe, New Mexico and visit Winslow Arizona (taking it easy..hint hint)  :)
 
 








"Well, I'm standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
and such a fine sight to see
It's a girl, my Lord, in a flatbed Ford,
 slowin' down to take a look at me"


And especially for dad, or in case you didn't get my reference to Winslow, Arizona...





Be sure to follow @sprinklesontoast on Instagram for pictures of my Arizona adventure!







No comments:

Post a Comment